Rolling updates, comment at day’s end:
- [TE] Brandon Pettigrew re-signs 4yr, $16-M with Detroit
- [C] Evan Dietrich-Smith signs 4yr, $14.25-M with Tampa Bay
- NYG interested in [CB] Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, possible visit
- Jameel McClain contract details: 2yr, $4.1-M
- [OG] Shelley Smith signs 2yr, $5.5-M with Miami
- [WR] Hakeem Nicks signs 1yr, max of $5.5-M with Indianapolis
Things are starting to quiet down in the Giants camp, but a few players that had drawn interest landed elsewhere on day 4 of free agency. Specifically the pools of tight ends and centers are shrinking. It’s starting to look more like those areas will be addressed in the draft, but of course there’s still plenty of time for signings to be made. Jerry Reese talks about the “three waves” in FA, and his usual strategy is to be patient and hunt for bargains as late as possible.
By far the biggest splash player left on the Giants radar is [CB] Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He is probably looking for a contract just under those monster deals signed by the top-tier talent, and if his visit with the Jets doesn’t end well (they don’t want him to leave the building unsigned) he will make his way over to Big Blue. Maybe we’ll be more convincing than our gang green neighbors.